Thursday 14 July 2011

Hacked off!

I'm annoyed how drivers respond to horse and riders on the road, whizzing passed putting their vs up shouting etc... i ride on the road, well quiet country lane and i still encounter all the above I'm lucky my horse is sensible.
I get loads of comment saying horses should not be on the road or horse riders should pay road tax but at the end of the day horses were on the roads before cars and in regards to the road tax i have never known a horse to cause pot holes.
But that's not the point, safety is the point! Its me and my pony's welfare at risk, i ware plenty of florecent and reflective clothing and so dose my pony so visibility to other road users is not an issue.

I think some car drivers are not educated enough when i was learning to drive i had to over take a lady on a horse and my instructor gave me no instructions on how to deal with this type of situation, lucky for me i knew what to do i was in a 40mph zone i could see the horse was calm so i slowed down to 30mph and passed them wide, my instructor gave me no indication if this was the right thing to do or not! And i think that is the problem some drivers don't know exactly what to do and few drivers can  get so aggressive, I don't ride on the road to annoy people i ride on the road because i am exercising my pony and to get  into fields to ride in (only if i have permission). i could go on forever with this telling you how i have indicated to turn in to a junction and a driver has cut me up or when a car tried to overtake me at the same speed as my pony walk and so on.
I guess what I'm trying to say is to all the ignorant drivers is please SLOW down, pass wide, be patient and please consider the horse and riders welfare.
 
photo from ride-uk.org.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...